barnduskreduced

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Tucson, Arizona, United States
I work as Panther Peak Bindery and am a bookbinder, conservator and instructor working outside Tucson, Arizona for individual and institutional clients across the country. I am a two term President of the Guild of Book Workers, was a Fulbright Scholar, taught at North Bennet Street School for over nine years and was the fastest in my middle school class at running up and down a flight of stairs (really!).

____________________

____________________

Saturday, July 9, 2016

What is that doing here?

Sometimes we see things that don't belong, or are so out of place it's just confusing.  Like this, maybe?






But this is a bookbinding blog so it's not about a deer on a porch.

A couple of days ago I was at a reclaim store in Ballard (a formerly cool neighborhood of Seattle that isn't so cool any more), a place where people drop off windows and doors and old toilets from houses or apartments they are demolishing.  And I saw this:






For those who don't know, this is an Italian board shear. A very large paper cutter, to the uninitiated.  In good shape they probably sell for six grand (?) when new. This, I should add, was not an old cutter but I'm not sure how new it was either.

It was selling for two thousand bucks, which is a decent deal. But it was also covered in chairs, almost buried which I found a bit humorous.  Where did it come from, and why didn't the original owner just sell it through one of the online bookbinding lists?

So many questions, and quite the surprise.  Like seeing a deer lounging on a deck with a couple of dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment