barnduskreduced

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Tucson, Arizona, United States
I work as Panther Peak Bindery and am a bookbinder, conservator and instructor working outside Tucson, Arizona for individual and institutional clients across the country. I am a two term President of the Guild of Book Workers, was a Fulbright Scholar, taught at North Bennet Street School for over nine years and was the fastest in my middle school class at running up and down a flight of stairs (really!).

____________________

____________________

Friday, February 10, 2012

Rock and Roll part 2

At the time I bought the book I posted last week I also bought this book.  Diane and I would drive around Mass. on Saturdays and just stop in small towns and look around, then drive on to the next town. It was a fun way to spend a day.  At a store that sold odd lots of things they had a pile of books, and I bought these two because I like the genre of music.  But also because they were sewn bindings so I could do something with them.

This one is called The Book of Rock and was published by Rolling Stone magazine.  It's pretty small, 3.25 inches tall and 2.75 inches wide.

I thought it would be fun to make a decorative box for it, and decided on an amplifier.  I wavered between spending a lot of time making an accurate model of one using Sculpey or something like that but that didn't really interest me.  Lugging amps around was never the most fun part of playing music, so maybe I had issues.  So I made this, which I liked because I thought the cartoonish nature of it suited the content more.

The box is leather with silk over where the speakers would be and painted super glued down where the controls are.


The front cover is the same scans of ticket stubs I used in the other book.  Concerts mostly seemed to me to be about the joy of music, the fun of enjoying something with a crowd, and spontaneity of the show and feeling like you learned something about the artist just by watching them perform.  So, thus the stubs to commemorate the best thing about rock music.



The back is money, which is what everything ends up being about in the end.  By the way, the name on the amplifier is sort of the Swedish word for money.  The endbands were money as well.


Here's the whole thing:


I did it as an onset board binding, where the leather was on the book before the covers were attached.  It allows for a very clean edge where the cover meets the leather.

It was an interesting project, because it's outside what I normal do but it's something I wanted to try and I'm happy with how it came out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment