barnduskreduced

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Tucson, Arizona, United States
I work as Panther Peak Bindery and am a bookbinder, conservator and instructor working outside Tucson, Arizona for individual and institutional clients across the country. I am a two term President of the Guild of Book Workers, was a Fulbright Scholar, taught at North Bennet Street School for over nine years and was the fastest in my middle school class at running up and down a flight of stairs (really!).

____________________

____________________

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

cloth binding class

A few days ago I held a one day cloth binding class.  It was a flat back structure, the perfect introduction to bookbinding.

The students cut paper down from parent sheets (large sheets of paper), folded the paper into sections, trimmed them, sewed on tapes, made a case, stamped a title on the spine, put corners on, then decorated paper and finally cased the books in.  If you read that sentence very fast you'll be as winded as we were by the end of the day.

But it was one of the most enjoyable classes I've ever had.  The students were great, we had time to try stuff and probably did too much, but in a good way.  It's fun to have students who like having stuff thrown at them (metaphorically).

I have a few more classes this summer, as part of my "get out of the heat" program.  One more on books and a couple of box making classes.  They promise to be fun as well.  Christmas is only six months away, time to learn to make boxes worthy of your gifts.  (Well, probably not but it sounded good in my head.)

In the meantime here are the books made by the students.



No comments:

Post a Comment